Box Office and Production Assistant
The 99 Club
The 99 Club is an award-winning comedy club, working with some of the finest comedians in the country and managing a busy programme of daily comedy shows in a number of West End locations. We have been awarded Best London Comedy Club at the Chortle Awards for the last 8 years and the Best UK Club 2015. We work with a large pool of extremely talented national and international comedians, who regularly appear on TV shows such as Live At The Apollo, Mock The Week, Russell Howard’s Good News, Never Mind The Buzzcocks and Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow. We host up to 13 shows a week at multiple West End locations, catering for both public and private events. Our venues are located in Leicester Square and Covent Garden. We pride ourselves on the quality of the comedy acts, the excellent customer service, the successful partnerships with venues and we welcome over 70,000 audience members per year.
We have a small core team, working on a busy programme of up to 13 shows per week, as well as on Christmas parties, private bookings and one-off gigs. In addition to the core team, we work with many freelancers who run our shows in the evenings.
We are now looking for a part-time Box Office & Production Assistant who can actively sell tickets for our shows over the phone and in person and can also run the 99 Club comedy shows in Covent Garden on Fridays and Saturdays.
This post is a key addition to the 99 Club, ensuring the smooth running and the on-going improvement of its growing programme of shows. The Box Office & Production Assistant must ensure that all our venues are a safe, welcoming and accessible place for all its visitors, comedians and staff members. He/she will also provide excellent customer service and assist the public with general enquiries. The role is suitable for an arts student or recent graduate looking for part-time flexible work in an award-winning comedy company.
The Work Schedule
This is a permanent part-time position, 25 hours a week and covers the following fixed shifts:
Mondays from 6pm to 10.30pm – covering the company’s Box Office phone line (4.5 hours), working from home
Tuesdays from 6pm to 10.30pm – covering the company’s Box Office phone line (4.5 hours), working from home
Fridays from 6.30pm to 10.30pm – covering the company’s comedy show in Covent Garden (4 hours)
Saturdays from 10am to 11.30pm – covering the company’s Box Office phone line till 4pm and then covering the 99 Club’s comedy shows in Covent Garden from 6pm to 11.30pm (12 hours)
There is an opportunity for additional hours paid at £10 per hour in busy periods or to cover staff holidays.
The Box Office line can be forwarded to a personal mobile and therefore the Box Office & Production Assistant can cover it from home. The Covent Garden shows take place at the Strand Palace Hotel.
The Box Office & Production Assistant can have one Friday/Saturday night per month off (unpaid) – to be agreed with Line Manager.
- To supervise and maintain contact with all 99 Club freelance Stage Managers
- To make sure freelance staff are motivated and performing their jobs to a highest standard
- To report show details to the Management Team
- To ensure that rooms are set up adequately depending on the number of people attending the show
- To deal with any reasonable technical requirements e.g. setting up stage lights and PAs.
- To print the callovers, vouchers, accounts sheet & behavior bond forms and make sure they are stocked at all times
- To make sure that doors open on time
- To over-see the box office sales
- To count float and petty cash
- To sell tickets and manage ticket lists for all events
- To over-see the cash door sales and make sure they are accounted correctly
- To welcome, direct and help all audience members and act as the first port of contact for face-to-face enquiries. To direct enquiries to the Management Team when necessary.
- To be responsible for overall customer service and deal with any customer queries/complaints
- To ensure that adequate and up to date signage and promotional materials relating to the 99 Club shows are displayed neatly and visibly (e.g. safety notices, flyers, posters etc.).
- To ensure that the comedians area is clean and tidy and stocked with water
- To ensure that all Health and Safety, Fire Safety requirements are maintained in all 99 Club venues.
- To check all fire escape routes are clear and free from obstructions and to keep records confirming this as part of the fire risk assessment.
- To produce an End of Day Report including visitor numbers, performer comments, audience reaction, customer comments, and maintenance issues.
- To identify and report to the Management team any maintenance work that needs attention.
Reservations/Box Office Line
- Provide an efficient and effective service to all customers by telephone or in person
- Provide accurate information to general enquiries and actively sell tickets through the Box Office system
- Promote and sell relevant shows and packages to existing and potential packages and provide information about future 99 Club events
- Support customers wishing to book tickets online or over the phone
- Process sales via Spektrix, transferring tickets to alternative dates, issuing credit notes, activating vouchers or promo codes as requested
- Access and edit customers records, re-send booking confirmation email and assist with all ticketing enquiries
- Strong customer service skills, in person and over the phone
- A ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to think quickly, respond calmly and effectively whilst working under pressure
- Ability to problem solve and take the initiative
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Ability to handle basic box office finance
- Ability to prioritise a number of complex tasks at the same time
- Ability to lead a team of freelance staff
- Strong sales and payment handling skills
- Interest and enthusiasm for the performing arts
- Student doing a degree in performing arts
- Experience within the comedy sector
- Experience of liaising with a wide range of customers
- Cash handling
- Previous experience using a ticketing system
CONTRACT TERMS & CONDITIONS
Type of Contract: Permanent (part-time), 25 hours a week with an opportunity for additional hours
Reporting to: General Manager
Salary: £250.00 per week
We are looking for the right person to start in end of September/beginning of October. Interviews are scheduled for the w/c 24th September 2018. If you are interested in the job please send your CV and Cover Letter to [email protected]
Deadline for applications: Sunday 16th September 2018