Assistant General Manager
The 99 Club is an award-winning comedy club, working with some of the finest comedians in the country and managing a busy programme of daily comedy shows in a number of West End locations. The 99 Club has been awarded Best London Comedy Club at the Chortle Awards for the last 9 years running. We work with a large pool of extremely talented national and international comedians, who regularly appear on TV shows such as Live at The Apollo & Mock The Week. We host up to 14 shows a week at multiple West End venues, catering for both public and private events. Our venues are located in Leicester Square and Covent Garden. We pride ourselves on the quality of the comedy acts, the excellent customer service, the successful partnerships with venues and we welcome over 75,000 audience members per year.
We have a small core team of 5 full-time and 1 part-time members of staff, working on a busy programme of shows every week as well as on Christmas parties, private shows and one-off corporate events. The team meets regularly (1-2 days a week) at the company’s offices in Oxford Circus but the majority of the work is done from home. Please note that the post involves regular evening and weekend work.
The main purposes of the role are: providing support to the Company Director and General Manager, general company administration, book-keeping, operations, line management of the freelance FOH team, marketing, sales and venue/show management. The role also involves providing excellent customer service to audiences over the phone and via email, as well as liaising with comedians and running the Friday and/or Saturday shows in 99 Club Leicester Square.
The Work Schedule
Please note that about 60% of the work is delivered from home. An average working week is around 40 hours within our opening times Monday – Sunday, 10am to 10.30pm (although hours may be longer during venue launches and/or special events). The post holder will be required to work on a flexible schedule, including 2 regular shifts from 10am and 6pm and 2 long shifts from 10am to 10.30pm per week.
The workload increases significantly between 1st and 20th December, which is the company’s busiest period. Holidays cannot be booked between these dates or in August.
This role is suitable for someone with experience in a similar operational position.
- Coordinating the 99 Club daily comedy shows and special events, through a range of administrative tasks.
- Updating the show accounts, petty cash and BACS payments spreadsheets.
- Setting up tickets on the company’s ticketing system (Spektrix) and promoters’ websites, managing tickets distribution, allocation and sales, monitoring sales hourly on busy days.
- Assisting with setting up gift vouchers for The 99 Club’s shows and assisting customers with bookings, transfers and cancellations.
- Creating show callovers including information about the guest lists, ticket types and packages sold and any relevant show notes.
- Confirming acts and freelance members of staff for each show.
- Gathering show and customer data on a daily basis and updating show reports and documentation.
- Sending food bookings lists to partner restaurants.
- Ensuring that the company’s shows accounts are up to date and that cash payments are recorded properly.
- Assisting with negotiating private show budgets with corporate customers, issuing invoices and monitoring incoming and outgoing payments.
- Formulating accurate financial reports based on individual events, analyzing sales data, making recommendations to improve future operations, and implementing appropriate actions to minimize losses and maximize profits.
- Supporting the company’s efforts to maximize efficiency and income generation.
- Pursuing sponsorship opportunities.
Operations & Show Management
- Operational responsibility for the smooth and efficient day-to-day running of the organisation’s programme of events including booking staff, liaising with venues and customers, ensuring necessary equipment is available and the venues provide a safe and professional working setting for both comedians and staff.
- Deputising for the General Manager and representing the 99 Club as and when required.
- Attending and managing 1 – 2 shows a week on a Friday or Saturday night at 99 Club Leicester Square (Ruby Blue Nightclub).
- Managing 2-3 shows a week in various West End locations between 1st and 20th December 2018.
- Ensuring the shows run smoothly and on time.
- Confirming acts and ensuring comedians arrive in the venue and are on stage according to the event schedule.
- Answering customers enquiries and solving any problems or customers complaints.
- Managing venue launches, occasional private or corporate bookings, including Christmas and NYE shows.
- Maintaining relationships with venues, third parties (restaurants, events companies, catering companies etc.).
- Ensuring our technical equipment is kept in good order at the venues.
- Maintaining and updating the website on a daily basis.
- Creating content for the company’s website and social media channels.
- Compiling emails to our mailing list.
- Assisting with writing sales pitches, presentations, press releases and special offers.
- Ensuring effective use of e-marketing, working closely with the team to increase the number of email addresses held.
- Helping to manage the daily marketing and social media strategies and updates on Twitter and Facebook as well as on Apps such as Fever.
- Assisting the Company Director with the management of Google AdWords and other marketing campaigns as needed.
- Assisting with the management of the freelance FOH team in collaboration with the General Manager.
- Ensuring staff are highly motivated and performing their job with maximum efficiency.
- Assisting with staff rotas, recruitment and training days.
- Training new FOH staff at the venues.
Customer Service and Reservations Line
- Providing high level of customer service and responding to all general enquiries in a timely manner.
- Answering phone calls on the Reservations Line and emails, being helpful and attentive to ensure positive communication with customers, artists, agents and contacts.
- Assisting with evening Reservations Line shifts (similar to operating a Box Office).
- Responding to customer enquiries, feedback emails, customer reviews and complaints.
- Experience in a similar position
- Excellent administrative skills with a focus on book-keeping
- Educated to a degree level
- Customer service experience
- Ability to work collaboratively in a small team as well as on their own and from different locations, as well as from home
- Ability to deliver results in a timely manner, adhering to tight deadlines and often reacting to last minute changes
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to multi-task across several projects and urgent tasks
- Ability to work flexible shifts and be adaptable to new challenges.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with venues and a wide range of suppliers and stakeholders
- Ability to manage a team of freelance FOH staff who have limited face-to-face time with the management team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent telephone manner and interpersonal skills
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to work under pressure
- A good understanding of social media for business purposes, Google AdWords, online marketing
- Experience in drafting mailouts
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Photoshop/Illustrator
- Basic technical skills: operating sound and lights
- An interest in comedy
- Has managed a team
- A creative thinker with a good sense of humour
CONTRACT TERMS & CONDITIONS
Type of Contract: Full-time, permanent
Reporting to: General Manager
Responsible for: Freelance FOH teams
Probationary Period: 6 months
Hours: circa 40 hours a week
Salary: £25,000 – £28,000 subject to experience
Holiday Entitlement: 20 days. Most Bank holidays are treated as normal working days.
To apply please email your CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] by Saturday 13th July, 12pm noon. We would encourage early applications as successful applicants may be sent pre-interview tasks. Interviews are scheduled for Wednesday 17th July.