Permanent Role, Part-time
About The 99 Club
The 99 Club is an award winning comedy club, working with some of the finest comedians in the country and managing a busy programme of daily comedy shows in a number of West End locations. The 99 Club has been awarded Best London Comedy Club at the Chortle Awards for the last six years and the Best UK Club 2015. We work with a large pool of extremely talented national and international comedians, who regularly appear on TV shows such as Live At The Apollo, Mock The Week, Russell Howard’s Good News, Never Mind The Buzzcocks and Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow. We host 10-15 shows a week at multiple central London locations, catering for both public and private events. Our venues are located in Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Soho and Piccadilly Circus. We pride ourselves on the quality of the comedy acts, the excellent customer service, the successful partnerships with venues and we welcome over 40,000 audience members per year.
We have a small core team, working on a busy programme of over 10 shows per week, as well as on Christmas parties, private bookings and one-off gigs. In addition to the core team, we work with many freelancers who run our shows in the evenings.
We are now expanding and looking for a Team Leader who can support our Freelance Stage Managers and Promotions Team as well as run the comedy shows. The successful candidate will also attend regular staff meetings with the core team.
This post is a key addition to the 99 Club, ensuring the smooth running and the on-going improvement of its growing programme of shows. The Team Leader must ensure that all our venues are a safe, welcoming and accessible place for all its visitors, comedians and staff members.
The Work Schedule
Tuesdays to Saturdays from 6pm to 10.30pm at our shows (in Leicester Square, Soho or Covent Garden) in addition to one weekly meeting with the core team on Tuesdays from 4.30pm to 6pm.
This role is suitable for an arts student or a recent graduate with some box office/stage management experience.
· To supervise and maintain contact with all 99 Club freelance Stage Managers and Promotions Team
· To make sure freelance staff are motivated and performing their jobs to a highest standard
· To report show details to the Management Team
· To ensure that rooms are set up adequately depending on the number of people attending the show
· To deal with any reasonable technical requirements e.g. setting up stage lights and PAs.
· To print the callovers, vouchers, accounts sheet & behavior bond forms and make sure they are stocked at all times
· To make sure that doors open on time
· To over-see the box office and make sure that box office is open from 7pm and tickets are sold for all 99 Club venues
· To coordinate the Promotions team & make sure they are effectively selling tickets for the shows
· To count float and petty cash
· To sell tickets and manage ticket lists for all events
· To over-see the cash door sales and make sure they are accounted correctly
· To welcome, direct and help all audience members and act as the first port of contact for face to face enquiries. To direct enquiries to the Management Team when necessary.
· To be responsible for overall customer service and deal with any customer queries/complaints
· To ensure that adequate and up to date signage and promotional materials relating to the 99 Club shows are displayed neatly and visibly (i.e safety notices, flyers, posters etc).
· To ensure that the comedians area is clean and tidy and stocked with water
· To ensure that all Health and Safety, Fire Safety requirements are maintained in all 99 Club venues.
· To check all fire escape routes are clear and free from obstructions and to keep records confirming this as part of the fire risk assessment.
· To produce an End of Day Report including visitor numbers, performer comments, audience reaction, customer comments, maintenance issues.
· To identify and report to the Management team any maintenance work that needs attention.
· Minimum 1 year experience working in a front of house role, preferably within an arts venue
· A ‘can do’ attitude
· Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
· Ability to think quickly, respond calmly and effectively whilst working under pressure
· Ability to problem solve and take the initiative
· Excellent organisational and time-management skills
· Ability to handle basic box office finance
· Good IT skills including Microsoft Word & Excel
· Ability to lead a team of freelance staff
· A strong work ethic
· Experience within the comedy sector
· Experience of liaising with a wide range of customers
· Cash handling
CONTRACT TERMS & CONDITIONS
Type of Contract: Part-time
Reporting to: General Manager
Probationary Period: 2 months
Hours: 24 hours a week (Tue - Sat, 6pm - 10.30pm) + 1 afternoon staff meeting per week
Salary: 20K pro rata
Holiday Entitlement: 17 days
We are looking for the right person to start in mid-October. If you are interested in the job please contact us NOW and send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews are scheduled for w/c 10th October 2016.